If you’re looking for a change of scenery to celebrate Independence Day, Ocracoke Island is just the place to make your holiday a true get-a-way. From fireworks over the harbor to a traditional hometown parade, Ocracoke will offer plenty of excitement for the 4th of July.
On the evening of Monday, July 3rd, 2017, the festivities kick off with a traditional island square dance at Community Square from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 pm with music by Molasses Creek. At 8:15p.m., a deejay will play fun dance tunes and patriotic songs. At 9:15 p.m., the island will host a fireworks show over Silver Lake Harbor at the large National Park Service parking area, located at the southern end of the island. Hyde County is sponsoring the show in conjunction with the Ocracoke Civic & Business Association and the National Park Service. Spectators are encouraged to arrive early and gather around beautiful Silver Lake harbor for awesome waterside viewing.
The celebration continues Tuesday, July 4th, with events scheduled throughout the day:
• 8am-10am: Meet Jobelle, the newest member of Ocracoke’s Pony Heard at the Pony Pens
• 9am: Flag raising ceremony Ocracoke School
• 9:30am – Noon: Sand Sculpture Contest at the NPS Lifeguard Beach with cash prizes
• 10am – 2pm: Classic Car Show on the Pony Island Lawn
• 10am – 2pm: Ocracoke Lighthouse Viewing – all are welcome to see inside
• 4pm: Old Time Independence Day Parade, featuring a procession of floats, decorated golf carts and bicycles. Starts at the Ocracoke Oyster Co., travels through the village and ends at the NPS Parking Lot
• 6pm: Storytelling with Donald Davis, lawn of Books to be Red
• 7pm: National Anthem and Awards Presentation for Parade and Sand Sculpture Contest
• 7pm-10pm: Evening Celebration – Community Bonfire at the Ocracoke Day Use Area/NPS Lifeguard Beach
For a complete schedule of events, please visit www.ocracokevillage.com.
Fun on the Fourth is a time-honored Ocracoke Island tradition. The island welcomes visitors today with the same old-fashioned island hospitality and dedication to fun that has made Ocracoke a popular vacation destination for over a century.